Buying and building a brand new home is such an exciting endeavor – the possibilities for design, decoration, and creative use of space are endless! But before you settle in, you may have one last hurdle to complete – that is, selling your existing home. And to do that, you must first stage your home so that it appeals to a wide array of buyers and sells as quickly as possible.
You’ve likely heard the most important tips to stage your home to sell — declutter, remove personal items, spruce up your landscaping, clean like you’ve never cleaned before — but there are a few more small things you can do that make a big difference in how well your home presents to prospective buyers. Here are a few clever tricks that you may not have thought of, but that you should do every time you have a showing. These tips will help your existing home feel fresh and new to everyone who visits.
Tips for Selling Your Home
1) Clean the front door. It’s probably the furthest thing from your mind, but your front door is the first thing guests notice when they come to your home. Wipe down the entire door, paying special attention to cleaning the key lock and door knob or handle. If you have a glass surround, be sure to clean it with Windex so that it sparkles!
2) Hide all the toiletries. In the bathroom, remove all your shampoos, body washes, lotions, etc. and hide them in a caddy under the sink. Be sure they are neatly organized, because buyers look there, too! Windex the shower doors and wipe off the tiles for a shiny, clean look.
3) Remove the evidence. At the last minute before your showing, Windex your bathroom and kitchen faucets to get rid of any fingerprints. Prospective buyers like for a home to feel as new and untouched as possible.
4) Hide your dirty laundry. Everyone has dirty laundry, but no one needs to see it! If your laundry basket doesn’t have a lid, fold a towel or bath mat over the top to cover up what’s inside. Just make sure the towel or mat is clean, and preferably decorative!
5) Eliminate questionable kitchen smells. Take out the kitchen trash before every showing and leave it empty with a fresh bag. (Do the same in the bathrooms.) For extra points, use a scented trash bag that makes the whole can smell fresh.
6) Make your sink sparkle. After you do the dishes, take one more minute to clean, shine, and dry your kitchen sink. On ceramic and stainless steel sinks, use an abrasive-free cleaner like Bar Keepers Friend. Your sink will look like new!
7) Make a mark. If you have carpet in your home, this is one trick that will have it looking newer in no time. Make vacuum marks! Even if you don’t have a chance to deep vacuum every day, the marks will make it look just like you did.
8) A breath of fresh (smelling) air. Make your entire home smell fresh by using a cleaner with a really good scent! All-purpose cleaners like Thieves or Meyers use natural oils that smell fantastic without being overpowering or smelling like chemicals. Wipe down every surface in your home with it (even your walls!) and your whole house will smell amazing for hours.
You should definitely declutter, remove family photos, and clean like there’s no tomorrow, but adding these eight items to your showing day checklist will make your home look, feel, and smell inviting to all who visit – and hopefully, encourage an offer.
Once you’ve staged your old home and you’re ready to learn more about new homes in Oklahoma City or Tulsa, we can’t wait to show you the options at Beacon Homes! Contact Cori at (405) 358-8615 for more information today, or to schedule a one-on-one, virtual, or self-guided tour appointment.